Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Empire Canceled by Fox, Unbelievable

     It has been rumored, Fox canceled the record breaking, new show, Empire. Insert, "Black Lives Matter". It is unbelievable, that Fox was eager to allow this to happen.

     To be a bit subjective, I am not a fan of Fox or any of its subsidiaries. That's honesty. Its not a secret that networks play up their roles. For instance, Fox and its affiliates are more Republican, pro-white, organizations. NBC is a more liberal organization. ABC is kind of center.

     With that, I was not surprised to here that Fox was doing this. I was surprised that Lee Daniels actually went to Fox in the first place. Maybe he sees a smaller picture than I do. But initially, I had no intentions on watching Empire, strictly because it was on Fox, and anything on Fox about black people has to be bad television. Instead, the show actually resonated with me.

     As a former rapper, I dreamed of Empire being the story of me. I am Lucious Lyon in my head, or I wanted to be. Coming from a family filled with musical talents, learning early the power of knowing what the accountant knows, and a determination to be a billionaire, Empire, in my opinion was my destiny. So I was a huge fan. I always ask myself, why did other people watch the show; doesn't matter though, it was a hit.

     Empire broke record after record. Its only competitor, a show I'm a fan of as well, The Walking Dead, didn't do what Empire did in its first season. They built up to where they are. Empire however, was an instant success. The fans truly enjoyed the show, and the conversations on Facebook and Twitter were endless. So why would Fox let them go?

   
Fox's Tweet regarding the news season of Empire
After record breaking views of Fox’s newest show “Empire” has been cancelled. Initially, on January 17, the show was renewed for a second season but now Fox has rescinded “Empire” opportunity for a second season.
Produced by Lee Daniels and staring Terrence Howard and Taraji P. Henson, the show was a success and many viewers tuned in weekly for the musical drama. It is said that the show is loosely based off hip hop mogul, Jay-Z’s life.
Fox’s public relations representative, Charles McRae, has stated that the reason for the cancellation is due to contractual negotiations. According to Fox, pay towards Lee Daniels and Danny Strong’s production camp were the main determining factors in the cancellation. It is said that two parties could not reach an acceptable agreement and when things heated up behind the curtains, Fox abruptly pulled the plug on the show.
Lee Daniels is currently meeting with several networks to find a new home for the hit series. He along with co-creator Danny Strong, will be meeting with HBO, Showtime, Viacom and ABC in the next few days.
     I hate Fox. I seriously do. It is my understanding, and I could be wrong, that companies pay to advertise on networks, during their aired programs. With record breaking numbers, are you telling me Fox is having issues raising money for ad dollars to advertise during this program? The Super Bowl can charge $3 million for advertising during the super bowl, but y'all can't raise the money for Empire? Or is it y'all don't want to pay the cost for the hit show?

     Be honest here. Because If that's the case, Empire can go straight to their own network, and are the program there. Its time we start owning our material. Yes I may be talking about flooding the market. I may be tempting over saturation, but in the words of the late great Michael Jackson, they don't really care about us. We can raise the money, sell municipal bonds, and open up a black hollywood and arrange our own networks.

     Empire may be one show, but there's lots more black talent being overlooked and misrepresented. Sony recently had to apologize to Kevin Hart for disrespecting him in an email between two workers. They said something to the beat of, he's a "whore". We need unity, but we can do so much more for ourselves if we don't seek the business of people who don't want to work with us.

     If this rumor turns out to be true, we need to take charge. That's my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment